Please note: This page was machine-translated. If anything is unclear, the German version is authoritative.
A state treaty between Saxony and Prussia in 1874 enabled the construction of the railway line.
With the construction of the Riesa–Elsterwerda railway line in 1875, a station was also needed in Gröditz. After only seven months of construction, the line was put into operation on October 15, 1875.
In addition to the station building, the station complex also included a station restaurant and staff accommodation. There were numerous other outbuildings on the station grounds.
In 1878, the restaurant was leased by a Mr. G. Habermann.
The economic development of the town led to an increase in both freight and passenger traffic. Many workers used this means of transport to get to work.
The ironworks was connected to the railway in 1878, followed by the Sulfitzellstofffabrik pulp mill in 1884.
In 1913, the journey from Elsterwerda to Riesa took one hour and 14 minutes.
In 1917, work began on the construction of a second track from Elsterwerda.
In April 1945, the retreating German Wehrmacht blew up the signal boxes at the station. This resulted in a serious railway accident in 1946 due to incorrect switch settings. A freight train loaded with reparations goods derailed. Unfortunately, there were also casualties.
In 1964, extensive construction work was carried out to expand and beautify the station building.
Extensive preparations for the electrification of the line began as early as 1973 and were completed in 1986.
In 1993, the former baggage storage barracks were demolished.
The ticket office in the station building closed in 1996, and tickets were sold at the travel agency in the shopping center.
In 1997, the station restaurant was closed.
From 1999, the station belonged to Deutsche Bahn AG, based in Dresden.
In 2003, the station grounds were sold to the Wiesbaden-based real estate company “first rail property GmbH.” As the train service was automated, the signal box at the Waldweg level crossing was also closed.
Since September 2004, tickets can be purchased from a machine on platform 1.
In 2010, the town of Gröditz purchased the station grounds. In 2012, demolition of the station building began. A new P+R car park and new covered bicycle racks were built. The P+R car park was officially opened in October 2013.
Sources: Stadtarchiv Gröditz, Archiv Schmiedewerke, Postkartensammlung Stadt Gröditz