Willkommen beim Elbe-Roeder-Dreieck

Der Teufelsgraben

Please note: This page was machine-translated. If anything is unclear, the German version is authoritative.

Location
Due to the forest fire in 2025, no up-to-date information is currently available
Coordinates
XXX, XXX
Project period
2016 – 2018

„Der Teufelsgraben bei dem Gorisch,

 

zwischen Tiefenau und Fichtenberg, unfern Großenhain"

 

This excerpt is a historical source from the 18th century. It is followed by a short biography of Karl Preusker.


Karl Benjamin Preusker in den Mitteilungen des Königl. Sächs. Vereins für Erforschung und Erhaltung der vaterländischen Altertümer. Erstes Heft 1835, Ueber einige Alterthümer aus der germanisch/slawischen Periode. vom Herrn Rentamtmann, Ritter Preusker in Großenhain.Seiten 5-6, 10-11, 12-13, 14

"This indisputably ancient earth wall is two hours long, beginning in the Tiefenau area and running in a fairly straight line from east to west, especially from the heath houses, past the farmstead and forester's lodge at Gohrisch, and after passing over an insignificant (barely noticeable due to gradual rises and falls), it also coincidentally formed the newer border between the Kingdom of Saxony and the Royal Prussian Duchy of Saxony for some time, until it reaches the area of Fichtenberg and then ends, with no further traces visible until the Elbe, about a quarter of an hour away.

It consists of a ditch with embankments on both sides and is very clearly visible almost everywhere, especially when following its direction, although there are interruptions in several places, particularly where it crosses cultivated fields. Shortly before the Gohrisch outpost, it divides into two branches, one of which runs straight through the garden at the forester's lodge, while the other encloses that outlying estate and several associated fields and garden plots on the southern side in an almost crescent-shaped line and rejoins the straight section about a quarter of an hour away from the point of separation.

The ditch is 8–12 ells wide from one side to the other and 2–4, usually 3 ells deep, in which the embankments on both sides meet without any base area being noticeable, ...

With regard to names and legends, it should be noted that the name Teufelsgraben (Devil's Ditch) is generally used for this rampart and no other, and is even indicated on older special maps. It is well known that ramparts and ditches of unknown purpose and origin, which appear to have been built with superhuman strength, as well as particularly strange rocks and boulders, were attributed to the devil in the Middle Ages ...

Based on its purpose, it has been assumed to be a canal (or weapon trench) or a trench to prevent forest fires, or even a boundary wall; however, it would not have served the first two purposes, as will become apparent from the following.

As far as its construction as a canal is concerned, the local conditions do not seem to require one ...

As a trench to prevent forest fires, it is ... far too significant a structure; thousands of people undoubtedly had to work for months, if not longer, with an effort that would be considered extraordinary today, to complete it. Therefore, there is no choice but to assume that it was most likely a border wall that served to separate the districts of two nations ..."

One Saxon cubit = 0.56 m

Preusker identified this moat construction as a boundary marker of Slavic or, more likely, Germanic origin, but did not rule out the possibility of Roman origin (Sächsische Provinzialblätter 1827 No. 4).

Today, there is a tendency to regard this early historical structure as a boundary marker from the High Middle Ages (11th-13th century) demarcating the possessions of the Bishop of Naumburg.

Thanks to Preusker's descriptions, the course of the historic Teufelsgraben can still be traced today over a distance of approx. 10 km from Tiefenau to Fichtenberg.

Karl Benjamin Preusker (1786-1871)

Karl Benjamin Preusker, one of the founders of Saxon antiquities research, now known as archaeology, was born in Löbau in 1786. Even as a child and young man, he was very eager to learn and had a keen passion for collecting. After completing a book trade apprenticeship in Leipzig and pursuing a career in military administration, Preusker came to Großenhain in 1824 as a tax collector.

He lived with his wife and six daughters in the tax office building (now the Karl Preusker Library). Driven by his love of reading, he founded Germany's first public library in 1828 in the Old Latin School building in Großenhain, together with the physician Emil Reiniger.

Preusker's desire to make education accessible to all social classes was shaped by his own experiences. With the opening of a Sunday school for young craftsmen in 1830, also in the Old Latin School, the organization of a reading circle, and the founding of a trade association, he acted as a pioneer for comprehensive public education from his base in Großenhain. Karl Benjamin Preusker's commitment as an archaeologist is also noteworthy.

He built up an extensive archaeological collection, whose approximately 900 objects he handed over to the Royal Antiquities Cabinet in 1853. In 1840, Preusker was made an honorary citizen of the town of Großenhain. Preusker retired in 1853 and died 18 years later, at the age of 85, in Großenhain. In his honor, the German Literature Conference awards the Karl Preusker Medal to individuals and institutions that have rendered outstanding services to librarianship.

Homepage of the city of Großenhain: www.grossenhain.de/historische-persoenlichkeiten.html

Text by: Jens Kraze, Lichtensee

Photos: Jens Kraze