Willkommen beim Elbe-Roeder-Dreieck

Schloss Grödel

Please note: This page was machine-translated. If anything is unclear, the German version is authoritative.

Location
In the village Grödel, Pappelallee
Coordinates
51.304958, 13.371201
Project period
2016 – 2018

The Lords von Schleinitz on Grödel

The von Schleinitz family was one of the most influential noble families in the Margraviate of Meissen and Saxony between the 13th and 17th centuries. They also documented a significant part of Saxony's regional history. The von Schleinitz family, which once had many branches in Saxony, held a wide variety of positions in the state administration of Meissen and Saxony as well as in the church administration and, like other Saxon noble families, were important cultural figures in the region. Many members of this noble family served as economic and political advisors to the Margraves of Meissen and later the Dukes and Electors of Saxony.

A branch of the widely ramified noble family of von Schleinitz were the lords of Grödel Castle with its knight's estate and agricultural possessions. To the east of the castle were several farm buildings, stables, and cottages belonging to those employed on the estates, in the castle, and at the manor house (Rittergut). As was customary on the estates of the landed gentry, beer was brewed and schnapps was distilled in Grödel.Since Grödel was a small village and did not have its own parish, the church in the village of Zeithain became its burial place.

Grave monuments in the crypt of the church and at the church commemorate this period. Haubolt von Schleinitz in 1598, Hans Heinrich von Schleinitz in 1615, August Gottlob von Schleinitz in 1683, Christoph Heinrich von Schleinitz in 1710, and others found their final resting place in Zeithain with their wives. Heinrich von Schleinitz stipulated in his will that the crypt should be vaulted and filled in after his burial.

Based on the dates of the burials, we can assume that the Schleinitz family lived in Grödel between the 16th century and the first half of the 18th century.

The Wolffersdorffs, another well-known family of Saxon landed gentry, also owned Grödel in the 18th century. The staircase displayed the coat of arms of this noble family.
Karl Ludwig Graf von Wolffersdorff served as Grand Master of the Hunt to the Elector of Saxony.

The Zeithain church contains this gentleman's tomb, dated 1774. In the 18th century, the Wolffersdorff family also owned Promnitz Castle on the Elbe, along with a manor and lands. The simple but spacious castle complex was built between 1670 and 1680, but there were also earlier buildings on the site.

Grödel Castle, like Tiefenau Castle, Zottewitz Castle, Skassa Castle, and others, was demolished after 1945 for political and ideological reasons, while other castles were blown up. Today, only the former farm buildings of Grödel remain, and they are in poor condition.

Opposite the no longer existing castle is the well-maintained estate park. The park contains native trees and shrubs that are suitable for the location and have been newly planted or replaced. The preserved historical elements from various design phases, such as the Baroque period, have been retained. Detailed information about the estate park can be found at the park entrance.

Source: Literatur zum Meißner Land von Hans Jürgen Pohl, Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Königreiches Sachsen, bearbeitet von Cornelius Gurlitt

Author: Manfred Berke, Neuseußlitz
Photos: Landesamt für Denkmalpflege/Fotoarchiv