Willkommen beim Elbe-Roeder-Dreieck

Turmdrehkran (tower crane) Merschwitz

Please note: This page was machine-translated. If anything is unclear, the German version is authoritative.

Location
At the Elberadweg in Merschwitz, Entrance to the Turmdrehkran (tower crane) area
Coordinates
51.272253, 13.405299
Project period
2016 – 2018

Former Merschwitz steam sawmill with tower crane

Former steam sawmill

The Merschwitz steam sawmill was built in 1875/76 on the site of a brickworks and went into operation in 1876, initially with an iron roller saw frame. In its final configuration, a total of four saw frames were available for the production of sawn timber.

The developer of this plant was Ernst Otto Schulze, who had previously operated a brickworks on this site, producing mainly roof tiles (beaver tails) for Merschwitz and the surrounding area. After Ernst Otto Schulze's death, the sawmill was managed by his sons Curt and Max Schulze.

Most of the raw timber to be processed came from Bohemia and was transported to Merschwitz on the Elbe River by raft. Once there, the logs were transported on open wagons (Hunte) on a light railway to the drying area and then to the saw frame halls.

The saw frames were set in motion by a transmission (belt drive) powered by a high-performance steam locomobile built in Magdeburg in 1898. This locomobile was the third oldest in Germany, weighed 30 tons, and was equipped with two flywheels (diameters 3.2 and 2.1 m).

To facilitate and speed up the handling work, a tower crane was erected in 1921, as the existing jib crane no longer met the requirements.

The buyers of the sawn timber came from the region, but also from many places along the Elbe as far as Hamburg. The boards and square timber were transported to these customers using the company's own barges.

In 1945/46, the Schulze family had to produce large quantities of sawn timber (square timber, boards) for the Red Army. Most of the transport to and from the site was organized by the Red Army itself. After that, sawn timber was only produced on a contract basis for the local population.

At the end of May 1957, there was a devastating fire at the timber yard, which severely damaged the boiler house and the gate halls. Reconstruction did not take place; operations were discontinued.

Tower crane

The approval notice dated July 9, 1920 states:

"The tower crane was used to transport Bohemian raft timber pulled from the Elbe River onto light rail cars and to stack it at designated locations in the lumber yard  using electrically operated winches and a slewing ring.

The round, tower-like building is made of quarry stone and brick masonry with a wall thickness of 80 cm, contains an electric drive motor, and has a diameter of 8 m, a height of 12 m, and a circumference of approximately 30 m.

It has a rotating wooden structure with a height of approx. 5 m (runs on a turntable) and a tensioning tip, approx. 3 m high, whose side supports the approx. 14 m long boom beam with hanger on one side and the counterweight in the structure on the other. The rotating crane, whose axis is located in the center of the building and extends above the roof, is made of wood and has two arms. The building has an estimated height of 15 m. At the top is a weather vane with a sailing ship and the year 1921."

The tower crane lost its importance after the Bohemian timber stopped being supplied. Although listed as a historical monument, the valuable structure was left to decay.

In 2007, Gustav Gâl, an entrepreneur from Glaubitz, bought the site with the ruined tower crane building. With admirable dedication and a great deal of time and financial investment, he renovated the building by 2010, turning it into an attraction and new landmark of Merschwitz.

Two fully equipped vacation rooms and a lounge on the top floor with a magnificent panoramic view can be used by cyclists and locals for overnight stays, but also for celebrations.

Authors: Gustav Gâl, Nünchritz; Eberhard Naumann, Merschwitz; Otmar Gehre, Leckwitz
Photopgraphies: Gustav Gâl, Eberhard Naumann